11 Jun Our pasteis de nata recipe
Bake your own Pasteis de Nata. These egg custard pastries have been around for over 200 years, because they are delicious!
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 115 grams golden caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 400 milliliters full fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- Lightly grease a 12 place baking tin and pre-heat oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6.
- Put egg, yolks, sugar & cornflour in a pan and mix well together then gradually add the milk until mixture is well mixed and smooth.
- Place pan on medium heat and stir constantly until mixture thickens and comes to the boil. Remove pan from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Put custard in a glass bowl to cool and cover with cling film.
- Cut pastry sheet into two pieces and place on top of each other. Roll pastry tightly into a log and cut the log into 12 even sized rounds.
- On a lightly floured board, roll each round into a disc (approx. 10 centimeters) and press the pastry discs into the muffin tin.
- Spoon in the cooled custard and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden on top.
- Eat warm with sugar and cinnamon sprinkled on top!
Enjoyed Bake your own Pasteis de Nata? Taste more Portuguese food on one of our private tours, leaving from Lisbon.
Classic Portugal. A tours and experiences company.