- Be at one with nature and experience the mystical, wild surroundings and monuments of Sintra´s National Park on our new tour, Wild Sintra. We will introduce you to the mysteries and beauty of one of the most unique locations in Portugal. Once home to royalty and the aristocracy, this protected, natural park holds many wonderful settings and experiences in nature. We will uncover the ´wild´ side of Sintra – from windy mountain highs to natural saltwater, coastal pools.
- – Hike along the most spectacular peaks in Sintra and enjoy fantastic panoramic views
- – Visit a gothic palace and explore its spooky, mystical gardens. A must-see!
- – Discover what it was like to live as a 16th century monk, hidden in woodland.
- – Taste fresh seafood at a coastal seaside town, positioned right on the cliff edge.
- – Watch the sun set behind the ocean at Europe’s most westerly viewpoint.
Handpicked Itinerary of Wild Portugal Sintra
Tour Duration: 09.00 – 18.00
Santa Maria Trail –
Ascending two of the most stunning mountain peaks in Sintra and circling around two of the most striking monuments – Pena Palace and Moorish Castle – this trail is mainly on a paved path through woodland. You will pause to admire the panoramic views. This hike is led by your driver/guide who turns into your hiker/guide!
Quinta da Regaleira – This palace is a magnificent gothic structure, but its in the grounds that things get really spooky. Enter the ominous initiation well in the garden,
discover tunnels, caves, underground waterfalls, and even a twisting staircase. Designed by an 19th century eccentric freemason, look out for the many mystical
symbols and codes!
Convent of the Capuchos – Hidden in the woods lies another bewitching monument. Built in 1560, these cramped monastic cells of a former Fransican order look almost Hobbit-like. The monastery was constructed to have minimum impact on the surrounding area and is set within the dense woods and huge granite boulders of
Sintra. This was a harsh and isolated monastic life! Squeeze through a warren of cells, chapels and enter the kitchen through narrow passages.
Azenhas do Mar –
Perched on the side of a cliff, this seaside town is as close to the sea as you can get. At high tide you will see three natural rock-sided swimming pools
emerge, next to the cliff edge. Enjoy a fresh fish and seafood late lunch in this beautiful location.
Praia Grande do Rodizio – In 1981, close to the sandy southern beach of Praia Grande, dinosaur footprints were discovered by a visiting geology student. These deep
footprints date back to the early Cretaceous period and are around 115 million years old. The tracks head vertical up the cliff face and are thought to have
been made by two types of dinosaur – herbivores and carnivores.
Praia da Ursa – A
well preserved, ‘wild’ beach, nestled in-between two cliffs. With jagged rocks protruding from the sea, sandy coves, grottoes and tunnels, this beach is
perfect for exploring. Relatively quiet during the week and low season, it can get busy on weekends in summer.
Sunset at Cabo da Roca – The most westerly point of Europe is a popular spot to watch the sun go down over the Atlantic Ocean. With stunning views, watch the sunset below the horizon and seemingly go under the sea! The perfect way to end your magical and mystical ´Wild Portugal´ Sintra tour.
- – Private driver/guide
- – Private vehicle with water, wifi and air-conditioning
- – Hotel pick up and drop off
- – Live commentary on board
- – Free time to explore at each location
- – One free minor per two paying adults
- – Tour available in English, Spanish and Portuguese
- – Public liability insurance
- – Lunch is not included
- – Entry tickets are not included
- Personalise This Tour
- You may wish to adapt this itinerary. Just let us know which place
- you wish to see and we will add it to your day. We want to create your perfect tour.
- Classic Portugal´s Covid 19 Protocol
- We will continue to implement preventative measures to protect your health and safety. These include sanitising the cars and minivans in-between tours, our drivers wearing masks, alcohol hand gel available for your use, tour itinerary adapted to visit monuments at quieter times. Full details can be found on our home page.
- All of our tours are private and we have a new programme of Wild Portugal tours in nature and rural areas, to maintain social distancing.
- You May Also Like
- Serra da Estrela Mountain Trip
- Beach Horse Ride & Comporta and Troia Tour