- Journey back in time on our new and exciting Knights Templar Discoverer tour of Tomar!
We begin our day at the astonishing medieval Almourol Castle. Set on a small island in the River Tagus, it was a Knights Templar stronghold and first line of defence. Here you will enjoy a relaxing boat ride across to the castle, a very unique experience! Next is the 12th century Knights Templar city of Tomar. Here you will eat in a Medieval Tavern, explore the streets of the city and discover more history of the Knights Templar and the Order of Christ. Next we venture to the awesome and vast complex of Convent of Christ and end the tour at the spectacular Pegoes Aqueduct.
- – Sightseeing tour, 9 hours
- – Visit a castle on the water, with relaxing boat ride
- – Wander the 12th century city of Tomar
- – Discover Knights Templar history and heritage
- – Experience a Medieval lunch
- – Private driver/guide, water, wifi and air-conditioning
- Please note, from 1st October 2019 to 30th April 2020 Almourol Castle is closed.
- Also on Mondays, theTaverna Medieval is always closed.
- Our Promise To You
- We always pick you up and return you to your hotel, airport or cruise ship in the Lisbon area. All of our cars and minivans are modern and comfortable. We offer luxury vehicles on request and all our drivers speak English, French, Portuguese and Spanish.
- Handpicked Itinerary of the Knights Templar Tour of Tomar
- Tour Duration: 09.00 – 19.00
Almourol Castle – The most uniquely positioned castle in Portugal!. Set on the river, you will discover this medieval fort via a short boat ride. A fantastic monument and memory of the Knights Templar in Portugal.
Taverna Medieval – So an amazing fact about Tomar is that it was a planned city. The oldest quarter follows a strict grid system created by the Knight Templar in the 12th century. In this square, the 16th-century town hall is beautiful building with a statue of the Templar Knight and Tomar’s founder, Gualdim Pais. It is on this square that you will eat an an authentic medieval experience! Eat from a medieval menu at rustic tables and chairs by candlelight. A popular location and unique dining experience.
Igreja de Sao Joao Baptista – This 15th century church is known for its exuberant sculpture and intricate stonework. Discover the beautiful tilework and paintings.
Synagogue of Tomar – The synagogue was founded in the 15th century but wasn’t used for more than 50 years since the Jews were expelled or forced to convert by King Manuel I in the 1400s. It has since been restored in the 20th century and it now home to Tomar’s Jewish Museum
Convent of Christ – A vast monumental complex standing on top of a hill, founded in 1160 by a grandmaster of the Knights Templar. Here you will spend time exploring the monument, which includes the Castelo do Tomar; an important military building full of mysteries that many have tried to unravel over the centuries. Have a go at solving them yourself! This monument also includes the Charola which was the knight’s private oratorium, the Manueline Chapter House window and the Main Cloister.
Castelo do Tomar – This castle protects the convent. Still visible is the Cross of Malta and other Templar symbols. Discover Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance remnants, and much more!
Pegoes Aqueduct – This 6km aqueduct was created to supply the Convent of the Order of Christ with a much-needed water supply. The aqueduct is most spectacular when it reaches the Vale da Ribeira dos Pegões with two tiers of arches reaching a maximum height of 30 metres.
- Personalise This Tour
- You may wish to adapt the tour highlights above to suit you. If there is some place specific you wish to see which is not listed just let us know! We want to create your perfect tour and we provide you with a detailed itinerary of the day.
- – Private driver/guide
- – Private vehicle with water, wifi and air-conditioning
- – Hotel pick up and drop off
- – Live commentary on board
- – Free time to explore at each location
- – Personal and accident insurance
- – Tour available in English, Spanish and Portuguese. French available on request
- – Entry tickets are not included
- – Lunch is not included
You May Also Like