Take a trip to the heartland of Alentejo to the unique city of Evora, megalithic site, Almendres Cromlech and crafts and tapestries village, Arraiolos.
With quaint, cobbled streets and picturesque buildings, Evora is delightful to walk around and has many historical and unique sites. Climb the cathedral for wonderful views over the Alentejo countryside or discover the human skulls and bones embedded in the walls of the Capela dos Ossos! Enjoy a visit to a local ‘Quinta’ where you will enjoy a wine tasting session and visit the beautiful village, known for its rug making; Arraiolos. Evora also boasts the largest megalithic complex on the Iberian peninsular which we will share with you.
- – Evora city; a UNESCO World Heritage site, steeped in history
- – Visit to a local winery and a wine tasting session
- – Megalithic settlement, Almendres Cromlech, set in beautiful countryside
- – Discover the crafts and tapestries of Alentejo village, Arraiolos
- – Private driver/guide for stress-free travel
- Our Promise To You
- We always pick you up and return you to your hotel, airport or cruise ship in the Lisbon area. All of our cars and minivans are modern and comfortable. We offer luxury vehicles on request and all our drivers speak English, French, Portuguese and Spanish.
- Handpicked Itinerary
- Tour Duration: 09.00 – 19.00
- Evora Cathedral – Founded in the early 12th century this is the largest medieval cathedral in the country.
Roman Templo de Diana – This temple is a symbol of the Roman occupation of Portugal. It was erected in the first century AD in honour of Diana, the Roman goddess of hunting.
Capela dos Ossos & Sao Francisco Church – This intriguing chapel has walls covered in bones and human skulls – a passage to Heaven of Hell – built by a Franciscan monk in the 16th century.
Local Winery – Set in a beautiful ‘Quinta’ you will enjoy a wine tasting experience, sampling the fantastic wines from the Alentejo region.
Alto de São Bento – We stop here for you to experience an incredible view over Evora and to admire the former windmills.
Almendres Cromlech Megathlic Settlement – Get fascinated with pre-history! This is the biggest megalithic monument in the Iberian Peninsula. Everybody has heard about the grand Stonehenge, in the UK. Well the Almendres monument is 2000 years older! It was built about 7000 years ago and is a quiet and beautiful site.
Arraiolos – We end the day with a visit to the village of rugs! Set in beautiful Alentejo countryside, this traditional Portuguese village is well known for it’s handmade rugs and even boasts a peculiar circular castle.
- Personalise This Tour
- You may wish to adapt the tour itinerary above to suit you. If there is some place specific you wish to see which is not listed just let us know. We want to create your perfect tour!
- – Private driver/guide
- – Private vehicle, water, wifi and air-conditioning
- – Hotel pick and drop off
- – Live commentary
- – Free time to explore at each location
- – Personal and accident insurance
- – Tour available in English, Spanish and Portuguese. French available on request
- – Entry tickets are not included
- – Lunch is not included
You May Also Like