22 May Experience Lisbon like a local
Experience Lisbon Like A Local! Colourful buildings, picturesque views, vintage trams…Lisbon is a gem city of Western Europe. Even with it’s recent and ongoing gentrification you can still soak up the shabby-chic glamour of the city. With its distinct yet close-by neighbourhoods it is a place you can easily wander on foot, capturing all the city has to offer. Here we share with you our favourite local spots, things to do and places to eat.
Experience Lisbon like a local top tips…
1. Miradouro de Graca – Popular with the locals for its views over Mouraria, Alfama, Baixa and the Castelo de Sao Jorge. Here you can enjoy a drink on the terrace and learn about one of Portugal´s finest poets, Sophia de Mello Breyner Andresen.
2. Ginginha sem Rival, Rossio – Literally meaning ´gin without a rival´ this family business opened its doors in 1890 and has been going strong ever since. The bar is only 20sq foot so easy to pass by, but just look for the queues and you will find it!
3. Feira da Ladra – A local flea market, here you will can find hidden treasures or just some junk! Artisan goods are popular and you can also find books, military objects, furniture, antiques, coins and clothes.
4. O Trevo, Chiado – Local provider of all Portuguese classics – bifanas, salgado, pataniscas de bacalhau, chamucas and much more. Visit this classic Lisbon eaterie for a real Portuguese experience.
5. Pavilhao Chines – Is this place a bar or a museum? Artifacts from the 18th and 19th centuries adorn these rooms, making this bar something of a cult location for both locals and tourists. A must see!
6. LX Factory – Set within former textile factories, this derelict space has been transformed into restaurants, coworking spaces and boutique stores. It is also a great place to see some street art and you can now wander next door to Village Underground and enjoy a coffee on the double decker bus restaurant!
7. Selva – A gorgeous and dog friendly cafe, serving healthy breakfast and all day brunch with organic juices and great coffee.
8. MAAT – Super cool museum of art, architecture and technology. Next door and part of the complex is the stunningly unique Electricity Museum.
9. Riverside of Almada – Journey across the river to turn and admire the great views of Lisbon across the water. The Cachilas / Almada riverbank is home to some fabulous restaurants. We like Ponto Final and Altira-te ao Rio.
10. Embaixada Portuguese Shopping Gallery – Located In a former new-Arabian palace, this innovative shopping gallery focuses on Portuguese brands. Artisanal products, local cuisine and culture all make this is delightful shopping experience.
Enjoy Experience Lisbon Like A Local? Which of these local experiences sound interesting to you?