We all know about the great beaches, Port and Cristiano Ronaldo – but Portugal has so much more to offer!
Here are 10 interesting facts we love…
- Portugal has some of the biggest waves in the world and it was in Nazare where Big Wave Surfer, Garrett McNamara, made the world record.
- The first ever bookshop in the world opened in Portugal, in Lisbon in 1732. Bertrand Chiado is still located on Rua Garrett.
- Coimbra University is one of the oldest in the world, dating back to 1290.
- Portugal is home to a house made of boulders. Set in the Fafe countryside it’s known as the Stone House and is still inhabited today.
- The first ever journey around the world was led by Portuguese explorers.
- Many of Portugal’s best desserts were created by monks!
- Portugal was the first country in the world to decriminalise narcotics.
- The largest producer of cork in the world, Portugal has some 70% of the market.
- The emotive Portuguese music of Fado was classified as a world cultural heritage of UNESCO
- Portugal and England have the oldest diplomatic alliance in the world dating back to 1373.