By far the most delicious, traditional Portuguese tart with a rich egg custard and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Here’s how to bake yours!
Ingredients for 12 Portugese tarts:
1 large egg (whole)
2 egg yolks
115g golden caster sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
400ml full fat milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 sheet ready rolled puffed pastry
– Lightly grease a muffin tin and pre-heat oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas
– Add egg, yolks, sugar & cornflour into a saucepan and mix well together, then gradually add the milk until mixture is smooth.
– Put pan on medium heat and constantly stir until mixture thickens bringing to the boil.Remove the pan from the heat and add vanilla extract.
– Put the custard into a bowl to cool and cover with cling film to prevent skin forming.
– Cut pastry sheet into two pieces and place them on top of each other. Roll the pastry tightly, from the short side, into a roll and cut the roll into 12 even sized balls.
– On a lightly floured board, roll each ball into a disc (approx. 10cm) and press the pastry discs into the muffin tin.
– Spoon in the cooled custard and bake for 20-25mins until golden on top. Leave to cool in the tin for 5mins then move to a cooling rack to finish cooling although they can be eaten warm.
– Add icing sugar and cinnamon powder to taste. Yummy!